Thursday, October 18, 2007

Me and the Israelites

Was it a coincidence that this morning I read the account of the Israelites trapped between the Red Sea and the approaching Egyptian army and this afternoon received an e-mail informing us that our health plan would be canceled as of November 30?
The biblical account states: "As Pharaoh and his army approached, the people of Israel could see them in the distance, marching toward them. The people began to panic and they cried out to the Lord for help." (Ex.14:10) How easily I criticized the Israelites this morning for their lack of faith. How blithely I condemned them. Didn't God say He would deliver them? So why didn't they just believe it? But this afternoon was different. I was tying my shoes, getting ready to go into town to do my walking when the "health plan" news came thundering into my ears like the pursuing Egyptian army and the $$ needed to get a new plan mounted like the waves in the Red Sea. I began to panic, too, and to cry out to the Lord for help. Later, walking the city streets, an old chorus came to mind and I began to sing outloud, "I believe God, I believe God, Ask what you will and it shall be done, Trust and obey, believe it and say,
I believe, I believe God, " and as I heard myself singing, I began to believe that God would indeed take care of us. After all, He always has.

No comments: