Friday, January 18, 2008

How Much Does a Soul Weigh?

Since becoming a pastor's wife, I've discovered that "souls" are quite heavy--and frankly, I'm feeling the weight and not knowing how to deal with it. Right now I want to be free from this responsibility. So much has happened these last days...
*a man called on the phone, crying, because he had returned to doing drugs, but this time had induced his wife to join him, and after doing cocaine all night together with "friends", he was full of remorse and wanted help.
*another man who had been off drugs, was helping in the church and building his business, had three bad relapses in short order. On his last fling he disappeared for three days, returned home to a distraught wife who sent him off to a rehab center.
*a young 14 year-old girl turns up with a boyfriend and a guilty face. She's avoiding me, but I need to talk to her.
*a drunk 19 year-old totters through his parent's front gate early in the morning, to be greeted by a very sad father.
*the man who rented to us when we first moved to this town died of cancer only 15 days after he was diagnosed, but he died a believer, PTL!
*a young mother's C-section in May still has not healed. The cut is gaping open and the doctor said she has to live with it because her body has rejected the stitches.
*9 year-old André's kidney condition is worsening. At his last hospital stay, the doctor's wanted to stop his kidneys from functioning and put him on dialysis, but his parents refused.

The list could go on, plus I didn't mention the little misunderstandings that occur between members, leaders who don't lead, followers who won't follow. And this is called church. I'm very glad that Jesus said, "I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it." (Mt. 16:18) Sometimes I forget that he's in charge, not me. You know what? This blog has helped me. I feel better already.

No comments: